WIP: A-line with Front Button Placket

I apologize for the lack of a “theme post” today. I like to use things from my daily life for inspiration and without my camera I can’t get the pictures that the items deserve. Hopefully I’ll have the camera back by the end of the week and a “theme post” next Monday. Instead, I’ll show you the project I’m working on this week.

This week I’m working on an A-line skirt with a center front button placket. In addition to this being the last skirt for my pattern drafting class, this will be the first piece made by me for the fall/winter wardrobe. You can imagine my excitement then about this project. Luckily I took pictures of the muslin earlier this week to show you.

For this project I drafted an A-line skirt removing the center back seam and all darts. The skirt features a one inch button placket in the center front, a contoured waistband, and a faced hem. I’ll be using a cotton/silk blend in a deep green (see this post) that I’m really in love with and I’ve decided to underline with a black cotton batiste to give a really rich drape to the final project.

This is the second muslin from the drafting process after I revised the button band and flare. I started with a total of seven buttons but the seventh button was just too close to the bottom. This produced a weird optical illusion that made the spacing look uneven. So I removed the last button and adjusted the placement of the remaining buttons.

In addition to revising the button placket, I also adjusted the fullness. The first draft was very subtle but I had envisioned more flare for this piece. I’m really pleased with the results. Even in muslin it drapes in all the right places and is somewhat flattering – which shocks me because muslins are rarely flattering. This makes me really excited to see this design in fashion fabric.

There is still a little pulling around the waistband and the first button so I’ll be adjusting that tomorrow in class. The pull in the waistband may be a problem with the interfacing I used – I think it was too light. I’m going to take what I learned in the purple linen skirt that I made last week and make the waistband button hole horizontal rather than vertical. I’m also going to speak with my teacher about possible ways to reinforce that area to prevent sagging and stretching.

So what do you think? Leave me a comment with your opinions, observations, and expertise. I’d love to hear from you!

Advertisements

4 Comments to “WIP: A-line with Front Button Placket”

  1. Looks like it’ll be a good addition to your wardrobe.

  2. I love that cut. It’s very complementing to the figure. Thanks for sharing your work and feel free to drop by me too, soon.

    Cheers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: