Another Sorbetto…

I kid you not, I wore my black sorbetto three times last week. The cotton batiste combined with the extra ease made it the perfect top for the hot days we’ve been having. I decided to make up another version yesterday and wore it today with the blue skirt from last week. Here are the details for both.

Pattern: Sorbetto

Materials: 1.5 yards of white cotton batiste, white polyester cordonne, self-made bias tape from the cotton batiste

Cost: approximately $4

Time: about 8 hours

Notes: 

For this version I modified the pattern to accommodate fagotting and decorative tucks down the center front. Both of these techniques were new to me so the top definitely ate up my day but I had so much fun working on it. For the modification, I removed the pleat on the pattern and then added 2 7/8″ to the center front of each side to accommodate seam allowance and the the decorative tucks. To make the center front edge really clean I folded back the seam allowance and sandwiched the raw edge into the first tuck. This, along with my french seams, makes the inside really clean. I’m really overjoyed with this top.

However, besides the waistband, I’m pretty dissatisfied with the skirt.

Pattern: Self-drafted 4 gored a-line skirt

Fabric: 2 1/2 yards of 25″ wide blue cotton (?) blend, hair canvas, silk organza

Notions: (1) zipper, (1) 1/4″ button, 1″ petersham ribbon

Cost: approximately $12

Details:

  • flat felled vertical seams (except in CB where the zipper lies)
  • twin needle hem
  • hair canvas/organza/petersham waistband a la Lynda Maynard
  • button loop on waistband
There are a couple shots of the seams and the waistband in this post if you are interested.
The Bad:
  • whatever type of fabric this is, it does not press well. In order to get it to press at all, I had to use the highest setting which, in turn, burnt the fabric and gummed up my iron. A pressing cloth helped a little bit but my flat felled seams would have been a lot cleaner and easier if pressing was possible.
  • broke 2 zippers and reinstalled the zippers 4 times. I pulled the slider off of one and the slider’s handle came off of the finished project within an hour. I guess my bulk zipper purchase was not all that great.
  • ran out of petersham for the hem so the edge was left raw (well, pinked but still).
  • I’m finally beginning to understand what others refer to as beautiful machine stitches. My bobbin side looked really wonky on this project. I ended up changing out the size 70 needle for an 80 and that helped a little but it still looks a little crooked. I think the fabric must be partly to blame because it looks better on the charmeuse practice swatches I was working on later that evening.
  • Do you want to know the most embarrassing thing in the world? Having your rear seam rip right below the zipper and no one telling you. I really don’t want to think about how long my butt had a peep hole to the world.
Want to see my other Sorbettos? See my posts for my inverted box pleat and pintuck versions!
Advertisements

3 Responses to “Another Sorbetto…”

  1. Oh, too bad about the skirt experience. I was thinking it looked great and I love the top-stitched seams and the color.

Trackbacks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: